Forums » News and Announcements

Kaufusi eager to make a big impact on BYU's defensive line

• 169 posts
    August 11, 2017 7:22 PM PDT

While there are question marks surrounding BYU’s inexperienced defensive line,adidas Oliver Ekman-Larsson jersey, ‘ dynamic defensive ends — juniors Corbin Kaufusi and Sione Takitaki., coaches are excited about the potential of two of their athletic

After playing for the Cougar basketball team the past three seasons and debuting on the D-line last year, the 6-foot-9, 285-pound Kaufusi is a full-time football player now. And Takitaki, who hasn’t played in a game since midway through the 2015 season due to off-field issues,Authentic Shane Doan jersey, is back and ready to provide a big lift to BYU’s defense.

” Kaufusi said of Takitaki. “It’s awesome to have a teammate like that. It opens everything up for everyone else.”,Authentic Bobby Orr jersey,“He’ll make a huge impact. Everyone’s excited to see him get into a game because he’s a game-changer. He makes plays

” said coach Kalani Sitake. “I think he can do that. It’s a matter of getting him the looks he needs after being away from the game for a year. He definitely has a lot of talent and he’s definitely strong enough.”,“He’s a great pass-rusher. So let’s get him to handle the run game and let’s get him to be an every down D-end

Takitaki,adidas Zdeno Chara jersey, 245-pounder who has 40 tackles,adidas Mike Smith jersey, 6.5 sacks and five quarterback hurries in 26 career games, a 6-foot-2, is grateful for the opportunity to return to the program, and he’s eager to strengthen the defense.

“My role is to do whatever I can to help my team, dropping a little bit. ,Authentic Oliver Ekman-Larsson jersey,Whatever I can do to help I’m willing to do.”,” he said. “I feel like I’ll be rushing the quarterback

but Takitaki said that will be different this year.,One of the weaknesses of last year’s defense was getting pressure on opposing quarterbacks

we’re going to do great.”“I feel like they have a whole year under their belts. I’m excited,Authentic Mike Smith jersey, 100 percent,Authentic Zdeno Chara jersey,” he said. “It was difficult watching on the couch (last year) because I felt like I could help in many ways. But I’m just excited to be back. I know we’re going to do good with the pass rush. I have no doubt in my mind

Kaufusi is impressed with Takitaki's attitude as he rejoined the team.adidas Bobby Orr jersey,

“The biggest thing is that he’s stayed focused,Poor me.’ But he’s been focused this whole offseason. You can tell that he wants it. I love the dude and I’m so happy that he’s back.”,adidas Shane Doan jersey,” he said. “It’s easy to lose focus when you’re out whether it’s from injury or something else and say